Year 9 Entry
The evidence of past years is that between 2700 and 3200 students will sit the entrance exam at the old Melbourne Exhibition centre in Carlton for places at one of the four schools.
Students are given six papers to complete. These are:
- A Creative writing paper (15 minutes to complete)
- An analytical, persuasive or discussion writing paper (15 minutes to complete)
- Reading comprehension paper (30 minutes for 50 questions)
- Mathematics paper (30 minutes for 60 questions)
- Verbal reasoning paper (30 minutes for 60 questions)
- Numerical reasoning paper (30 minutes for 50 questions)
These Year 8 students’ aggregate scores are ranked with their peers. An acceptable standard in all sections of the exam is required.
Currently 85 per cent of the Year 9 enrolments are selected through the ‘examination’ process described above with no further information or interview required. 10 per cent of places are allocated according to rank, score and equity considerations. Details of what is an equity consideration may be obtained from the Education Department website.
The remaining 5 per cent are selected through a ‘Principal’s discretionary selection category’. They are asked to write a letter and present a portfolio of achievements. Consequently, some of these are invited for an interview before the selection is made.
Year 10 and Year 11 Entry
Nossal High School indicate on their websites each year if they will accept applications for places for Year 10 and Year 11.